Re: gnome panel

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, George wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 12:50:55PM +0100, Sigmund Freud wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have been working with gnome for a while now, and I recently started
> > using the gnome-panel. I ended up with two panels, where I want only one
> > (I have no idea how this happened). Sometimes when I log on, I have only 1
> > panel at the bottom, which is how i want it, but most of the times, I also
> > have a panel at the right side of the screen. Now, my question is as
> > follows: How do I get rid of it?!?!
> > What i did, is I right clicked on the panel, went down to "Remove this
> > panel", however, it is unselectable, I cannot select it. It is white,
> > instead of the color the rest of the selections have. So, how do I remove
> > it?
>
> most likely you have two panel processes running ... it will
> not allow you to remove the last panel
>
> this would also explain the weird behaviour with sometimes starting with
> two and sometimes not ...
>
> how are you starting your panel? ... if you use gnome-session .. it
> will start a panel for you ... so you don't have to start it yourself
>
> George

When this was happening for me(It doesn't anymore), there was one panel
process with the --sm-config-prefix stuff and another one with
--activate-goad-id.  It may be a race if something stored in the session
is trying to activate the CORBA server for the panel, but I don't know who
would do this.

Manish Vachharajani               Some Haiku: A crash reduces
<mvachhar@vger.rutgers.edu>                   your expensive computer
                                              to a simple stone - Unknown