Re: gettextize weirdness and gnome-libs compile failure

On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Brandon S. Allbery wrote:

> +----- From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@cygnus.com>
>| This is no bug, it's exactly how it's supposed to work.  You are not
>| in the position to decide about bugs.
>+--->8
>
> Would it be asking too much for you to clearly document the reason for this
> somewhere where it would be found by someone looking to install the package?
> I didn't see it in any README file and no Info node refers to installing
> the gettext package itself.  In fact, the Info files all assume the setup
> which is *not* the default that installing gettext creates.

Hmmn.

Well, doing what Mr. Allbery suggested, reinstalling with the directories
already made, fixed the error completely (thanks very much for that).  Sniffing
around the RPM of gettext that I had installed previously, gettext-0.10-5, I
discover that RedHat ships gettext in the 'flat' configuration, with
intl-Makefile.in et al.

I don't know much about the gettext package, or whether this is a bug, a
feature, or what, but it does seem to me that the 'flat' configuration is
default both from a source compile and from an install of one of the more
popular distributions out there (one which even hosts and contributes to the
GNOME effort....)

This in mind, it seems odd to me that the various gnome source trees rely on a
non-default configuration.  I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason for this,
but I would agree that a snippet of documentation might keep this from becoming
a FAQ as more and more folks upgrade to gettext 0.10.35.

Just a thought.  Thanks for all of your comments on this.

Now, does anyone have any thoughts on why I still have 146 undefined imlib_*
symbols in lines 702 - 848 of gnome-libs/libgnomeui/gnome-stock.c in the last
4 days' CVS?

R Pickett                Look around you. This is what the world
emerson@hayseed.net      looks like at the end of the millenium.