Re: The State of GNOME

Wow,

When I first read this, my reaction was to get pissed off. Can you believe
this guy?

Anyway, I wont preach but my GNOME sytems are much more stable than what
was described in Albert's dissertation. I currently have a LAN of 5 GNOME
machines running day and night without a problem. The panels do not
randomly crash, gmc is fine as long as you dont try to get too fiesty with
the ftp features. I am happy with the state of the system and have a very
different opinion of an upcoming 1.0 release.

One thing I have noticed is this. The constant updates on the GNOME system
force most of us to install/configure/upgrade alot. I have found that
occasionally configuration files and parameters from previous versions of
GNOME are not compatible with the newest release, and can cause
unpredictable behavior. Several times a "clean" install of gnome or even
the creation and use of a new user account results in a better behaved
GNOME session.

This behavior is normal. Why should development releases be
backwards compatible with previous versions (within reason). So I am
throwing out this comment as a suggestion to anyone who is experiencing
unusually buggy GNOME operation.

take care,
-FDS