The State of GNOME

Hello,

According to a Slashdot article posted yesterday, GNOME will soon or has
entered the 1.0pre stage. Whilst I cannot confirm this bit of news on the
GNOME Website as of this writing, it seems quite likely, taking your
recent releases into account.

Excuse me for being blunt, BUT WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?

GNOME's version number is greatly over-inflated, and IMHO, this piece of
software isn't anywhere near being near being ready for release.

I'm running the most recent version of GNOME [RPM-wise, at least], on a
Red Hat 5.2 system with Linux 2.2.2.

The panel dies off every now and then. Sometimes it doesn't even save its
own configuration, leaving me to redo all my launchers, menus and drawers.
There are numerous little buglets in the panel configuration code, for
example if you've removed the directory from where a launcher got its
icon, edit the launcher's options, and try to change the icon by clicking
"No Icon" button, nothing happens.

The GNOME Control Center cores every now and then. Despite the pathetic
state of Windows 95, at least Microsoft got it stable enough to prevent
its Control Panel from blowing up in their users' faces at random
intervals. [Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Linux/Gtk+/GNOME fan.]

Half the games in 0.99.7 release didn't even work. 0.99.8 is a little
better, but not near production quality. Whilst this may seem as something
very trivial, the first thing a newbie user looks for are some Games to
keep him entertained, after he's broken the rest of his system. When the
games blow up in his face [literally], he/she is going to go look
elsewhere for some shiny, new stuff.

Another classic example is gtop. A simple utility, you might think. Allows
me to check out the CPU usage of the processes running on my machine. Yet
when I fire up gtop, it sucks up 11% of my CPU. There's no such thing as
immature code to destroy performance.

And where is Enlightenment? Methinks someone needs to tell Rasterman to
get it done so that we can have a new stable release to look at. GNOME
isn't going to pull it off if the only Window Manager that works properly
with it [but not always] is icewm.

I'd expect GNOME 1.0 to be at least as stable as KDE 1.0, which at this
"late" stage it most certainly is not. I find the fact that you feel it is
almost ready to be released at the least distressing. This is the product
that was selected by Red Hat Software to make up an integral part of the
future Linux desktop, yet when I click a few buttons, it dies. Compared to
KDE [which, unfortunately, is based on the seemingly unpopular FreeQt],
it's miles behind, and not catching up fast.

I don't know how much of this instability is to be blamed on Gtk+/GLib
[which has really turned into a mess with the 1.0/1.1 issues], but it's
still most horrible.

Stop moaning and do something, I hear you say. At this late stage, bug
reports seem to be going unnoticed, and pleas for fixes and new features
are being ignored.

I decided to send this message (in a slightly older form) to Michael
Fulbright [aka Dr Mike]: