Question about aclocal

I have to admit that I may have missed it, but I have to ask.  What exactly
is the best method to handle the aclocal messages?  Now I understand this
varies upon platform, so lets take mine (not to be selfish):  Redhat 5.2
i386 (installed everything), gnome from CVS, installing to /opt/gnome.  I
ran into a huge problem last night, when I got the "bright idea" to rm the
duplicate .m4 files from /usr/share/aclocal that match up in name to those
in /opt/gnome/share/aclocal.  needless to say, things are really broken now.
gnome-objc just wont compile (using old sources from CVS that had previously
compiled, and this was the only change.)  I also recall seeing some posts to
the list about /usr/local/share/aclocal, but I dont recall seeing that on my
system.  I have tried to export the flag for ACLOCAL_whatever, then I get
the warning about duplicate (i know, just warnings) which led to my "bright
idea".  I've also tried to just run 'aclocal -I /opt/gnome/share/aclocal'
inside each source directory before autogen'ing.  Would it just be better to
symlink /opt/gnome/share to /usr/share? or does this cause even more
problems?

also, I am a bit confused as to what the correct order of installation is.
I have some old info from Soren's page regarding build order, and the
current howto info doesnt quite match up, not to mention that when I follow
the most up-to-date instructions in the FAQ (yes I have read it) I get
problems after doing libIDL in step #2.  Should that really be there?  I am
at work right now, but I recall seeing a libIDL subdir in either imlib or
ORBit?

other than that, I would like to applaud all the writers.  Gnome and its
related apps is awesome!  I just wish I still had enough coding skills to
help out.  Maybe I can find someplace not so critical to help out (like
documentation).

Thanks for any info and keep up the great work!

Kirby Baker