Re: gmc and 'trash'

Yoni Elhanani <biggo@netvision.net.il> writes:

> Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> > two differences:
> >    - It will move the files to the trashcan and you will empty it
> >      manually.
> I do not understand,
> what differs the trashcan from a ~/desktop/trash directory with a nice
> icon.

I would hazard a guess:

  - The "trashcan" system is the default action of the "delete" action
    in gmc and other file diaglogues.

  - It gets automatically purged every now and then.

  - System admins can go rm -rf /home/*/.desktop/trash/* when they're
    low on disk space :-)

> >    - You will be able to customize the size of the trashcan for
> >      example.  So that you can keep up to 2 megs of "trash" around at
> >      any point.
> quota support.
> thats a good idea.
> but when i reach a certain size, will it delete the trash, or ask me
> what to do?

Personally, I'd like to use rules like:

  - Files have a minimum "purgable" time of 24 hours from "deletion".
  - Files <1MB have a minimum purgable time of 1 week.
  - Delete purgable files, but don't shrink the trashcan smaller than 2MB.
  - When I "delete" files not on the same mount point as the trashcan,
    ask me whether I want to copy the file to the trashcan and remove
    the original, or just go ahead and remove the orignal.

> will gnome know which files to delete first automaticly (sort by date?)
> when I dont use gmc, and fill my trash directory, how will gmc respond?
> since gmc will use a database to sort files and determine where they
> have belonged before, in a case that i delete files from the trash dir,
> will gmc check for them?
> (a solution to that will be not to use a database, but something like
> ~/.trash/subdir/file or just use symlinks)

I think a simple Berkeley database is a good solution.  symlinks are
ugly.  Dates you get for free from the file time stamps.
--
Sam Vilain, sam@whoever.com         work: sam.vilain@unisys.com
http://www.hydro.gen.nz                home: sam@hydro.gen.nz