Re: gmc and 'trash'

Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > how macintosh... :-)
> > but what differs such a trashcan from regular "rm -f %q"?
> > is it something such as windows "recycle bin"???
>
> two differences:
>
>    - It will move the files to the trashcan and you will empty it
>      manually.

Still,
I do not understand,
what differs the trashcan from a ~/desktop/trash directory with a nice
icon.

>    - You will be able to customize the size of the trashcan for
>      example.  So that you can keep up to 2 megs of "trash" around at
>      any point.

quota support.
thats a good idea.
but when i reach a certain size, will it delete the trash, or ask me
what to do?
will gnome know which files to delete first automaticly (sort by date?)
when I dont use gmc, and fill my trash directory, how will gmc respond?
since gmc will use a database to sort files and determine where they
have belonged before, in a case that i delete files from the trash dir,
will gmc check for them?
(a solution to that will be not to use a database, but something like
~/.trash/subdir/file or just use symlinks)

> You will be -perhaps not for 1.0- be able to configure different
> trahscans with different thresholds.

I got a nice suggestion for this one.
There will be the home trashcan, everything a user delete from his home
directory is there.
There will be the shared trashcan, where if a person have access to a
directory other than his home directory, the trash will be put there.
root will be incharge of its quota and properties.

--

There are no big words, just little people.