Re: gFTP rocks!

To see how FTP proxying works try this ( what you type is shown with a
-> and the output is shown with a <- ).

-> telnet proxy.yourisp.com 8080 (use the host and port of your proxy
here)
<- Trying 203.22.103.3...
<- Connected to proxy.yourisp.com.
<- Escape character is '^]'.
-> GET ftp://ftp.kernel.org/ HTTP/1.1

<- HTTP/1.0 200 OK
<- Server: Squid/1.2.beta23
<- Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 07:03:19 GMT
<- Proxy-Connection: close

<- <!-- HTML listing generated by Squid 1.2.beta23 -->
<- <!-- Sun, 21 Feb 1999 07:03:19 GMT -->
<- <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>
<- FTP Directory: ftp://ftp.kernel.org/
<- </TITLE>
<- </HEAD><BODY>
<- <H2>
<- FTP Directory: ftp://ftp.kernel.org/
<- </H2>
<-
<PRE>

etc etc

Notice that this is an HTTP exchange, not FTP. I don't know anything
about real "FTP proxies" like those that you can use in some Windows FTP
clients, but the problem seems to me that gFTP would have to parse the
HTML that is returned and convert it to the appropriate listing format.
Additionally, HTTP is (generally) stateless and so there is no concept
of a "connection" as in FTP (except maybe with persistent connections?).
Also the HTML output of various proxy servers (the listed output is from
squid) is probably different as well.

Just some thoughts,
Chuck