Re: gdm compiliation, and error starting

I am also receiving this problem, but on a slackware setup.  I attempted
to play around with ~/.Xauthority as the gdm strace showed this just about
the last successful thing it accomplished was to read /root/.Xauthority.
Creating a new .Xauthority but with an invalid key (using xauth) caused
the error below to read: invalid MIT-key, or similar.  But with the same
result.  Generating a new key again correctly returns to the error quoted
below.  With no /root/.Xauthority, the file is not created and similar
errors are shown.

The X server starts up but no gdm displays show up.  The error repeats
itself in the logs for a while.  The same file setup works without a
problem with xdm.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve