Gnome panel background still not working

Well I took a serious LART to /usr/local/lib in the hopes of clearing
out whatever library was causing gnome-panel to not allow me to change
its background. Despite all this it still dies horribly when I try
to set the panel background, either from this panel properties or
from gmc. A few people have told me this works and a few people
have told me it doesn't, so I'm thinking it's something peculiar
to my dist (Debian 2.0)

Has anyone figured out what's causing this? I can contribute the
output of a ldconfig -v if that would help...

--
Bruce Ide               greyfox@greyfox.org