gnome on RH 4.2 systems

In theory, I think gnome should work on 4.2 systems, but you may run
into some problems with old packages for some things and need to
update them.  I tried gnome 0.30 on my 4.2 system last November and
got much of it to work but I think I had to install newer versions of
some things (libpng I think is one of them - RH 4.2's libpng is too
old).  I upgraded to RH 5.2 over Thanksgiving (when I knew I had a few
days to get things fixed if something went wrong) so I haven't tried
any of the newer version of gnome on a 4.2 system.

Dave