More Drag & Drop Functionality

> >One thing I've noticed is that I can't get the desktop icons to show up
> >unless I start up GMC, which slows down my poor computer even more! I
> >realize that the desktop icons are a function of GMC, but is there a way
> >I can start them up without having to start up the GMC window?
>
> The gmc process will be running whether or not you have a gmc window
> open. You won't save any resources.

Well, that'd be fine actually. Is there a flag I can use to just start
up the desktop icons? Mainly I just don't want to have to minimize GMC
every time I start GNOME up.

> >horrid menus! I think it'd be cool if GNOME had an app manager that
> >looked like a folder tab sitting behind the GNOME panel. When you click
> >on the tab, it'd slide out from behind the panel, and there would be
> >you're apps. Could that be added on as sort of an applet or something?
>
> Have you tried panel drawers?

Actually yes, and I find them quite useful, although it bugs me that the
panel doesn't retract after you select the application you want to
start. Also, it seems that I can't add apps to a new drawer for some
reason. I click on the drawer to raise it so I can move the app into it,
and it just goes right back down.

Please don't think I'm some sort of CDE worshipper. It's ugly to look
at, and worst of all, it's not free! However, the ability to drag files
into application icons was an extremely handy feature. Even with drawers
and panel launchers, you can't do that in GNOME. I assume that since
GNOME is in code freeze, that it's not going to be a feature in 1.0. Are
there any plans to possibly add this sort of drag/drop feature into 1.2?
It's definately a timesaving thing to have around.

Jason