Re: More Drag & Drop Functionality

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:35:51 -0600, Jason F. <jasonf@the-i.net> wrote:
>> >One thing I've noticed is that I can't get the desktop icons to show up
>> >unless I start up GMC, which slows down my poor computer even more! I
>> >realize that the desktop icons are a function of GMC, but is there a way
>> >I can start them up without having to start up the GMC window?
>>
>> The gmc process will be running whether or not you have a gmc window
>> open. You won't save any resources.
>
>Well, that'd be fine actually. Is there a flag I can use to just start
>up the desktop icons? Mainly I just don't want to have to minimize GMC
>every time I start GNOME up.

I think (not sure) that if you use gnome-session to take care of your
GNOME sessions, gmc should come back as it was when you exited.

>Actually yes, and I find them quite useful, although it bugs me that the
>panel doesn't retract after you select the application you want to
>start.

This could probably be added as an option. George?

>Also, it seems that I can't add apps to a new drawer for some
>reason. I click on the drawer to raise it so I can move the app into it,
>and it just goes right back down.

I know I have dragged applets into drawers, so it has to work somehow ;-)
It went something like 'Click on drawer to open'. 'Drag icon into drawer
space.'

>Please don't think I'm some sort of CDE worshipper. It's ugly to look
>at, and worst of all, it's not free! However, the ability to drag files
>into application icons was an extremely handy feature.

I think you can do this with the file manager - not sure though.

-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg