Re: Yet another newbie part 2

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Grant Likely wrote:
> Steen Rabol wrote:
> >
> > Hello
> >
> > Well I started and compiled glib 1.1.12, did a make install, then ahead to
> > gtk+ 1.1.12 I typed /.configure and then after a short while I got the
> > following:
>
> First, try 'rpm -q glib' and 'rpm -q gtk+'.  If either are installed,
> remove them with 'rpm -e glib' and 'rpm -e gtk+'.  There may be other
> dependencies that also need to be uninstalled in order to uninstall glib
> and gtk+.  Uninstall them with 'rpm -e <pkg_name>'.

That might cause problems with RPMs that are compiled against glib/gtk
1.0.6, which there are many.  You only need to clear out glib-devel and
gtk+-devel, you can leave the actual libraries on your system.

> Next, I would suggest choosing an install directory OTHER than
> /usr/local.  I use /opt/gnome.  This makes it really easy to totally
> remove your gnome install.  Add the following line to /etc/ld.so.conf:
> '/opt/gnome/lib'.  Add '/opt/gnome/bin' to your path statement in
> /etc/profile.  Now, logout and log back in for the change to take
> effect.

Agreed, and the instructions given (and snipped) are good.  I use
/opt/gnome myself. The one complication is with aclocal files.  Assuming
you get aclocal from the automake rpm, make sure to:
  $ cd /opt/gnome/share       (you probably have to make it first)
  $ ln -s /usr/share/aclocal aclocal

This will make sure that aclocal can get the info on all your GNOME
packages as well as the regular ones, without having to mess around with
extra configure switches or copying m4 files.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef