Re: Yet another newbie part 2

Steen Rabol wrote:

> Hello
>
> Well I started and compiled glib 1.1.12, did a make install, then ahead to
> gtk+ 1.1.12 I typed /.configure and then after a short while I got the
> following:

First, try 'rpm -q glib' and 'rpm -q gtk+'.  If either are installed,
remove them with 'rpm -e glib' and 'rpm -e gtk+'.  There may be other
dependencies that also need to be uninstalled in order to uninstall glib
and gtk+.  Uninstall them with 'rpm -e <pkg_name>'.

Next, I would suggest choosing an install directory OTHER than
/usr/local.  I use /opt/gnome.  This makes it really easy to totally
remove your gnome install.  Add the following line to /etc/ld.so.conf:
'/opt/gnome/lib'.  Add '/opt/gnome/bin' to your path statement in
/etc/profile.  Now, logout and log back in for the change to take
effect.

Create a source directory in your user account home directory (ie.
/home/grant/src/gnome) and untar glib and gtk.  Go into the glib
directory and type './configure --prefix=/opt/gnome' and then 'make'.
When it is finished, type 'su' to become superuser and enter your
password.  Type 'make install', then '/sbin/ldconfig' (so the next
program can find the libraries) and then 'exit' (to leave the super user
shell).

Now gtk compile should work.  Do the same thing as for glib;
'./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome', 'make', become superuser, 'make
install', '/sbin/ldconfig', 'exit'.  When I do this, I combine the last
three commands into one, so that each time I login as superuser, I just
have to hit the up arrow once and then hit enter:

make install; /sbin/ldconfig; exit

Use the same procedure for every package.  I suggest the order given at
the following URL if you want to compile everything.

http://www.gnome.org/start/gnometar.shtml

Cheers,
G.