Re: Yet another newbie - End of story

Steen Rabol <rabol@get2net.dk> writes:

> On sn, 07 feb 1999, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> >Oddly, I've been compiling on a RedHat5.1 system for some time,
> >installing everything in /usr/local/gnome/*, without incident.
>
> As far as I can see you have used some kind of prefix to make it install in
> /usr/local/gnome.
>
> My point is: The readme/install files says "just" do ./configure
> then "make" and then "make install", and when I follow that I'm not
> able to build and install

Yes, and that also should work.  It did work for me last week, but
something subtle has changed.

I am using flags (standard configure flags) to install in a
non-standard place.  I'm also using environment variables
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and LD_RUN_PATH.

Something or other (possibly the audiofiles thing) has noticed that
it's in /usr/lib, and that's got stuck before glib and gtk+, causing
everything to fail.  That's my guess, anyway.  Hmm, that sounds
plausible: I think this may be the first time I've recompiled
gnome-libs since I installed an RPM of audiofiles (which installed in
/usr/lib).

> eg. I use Cute FTP ( Windows/NT ) to get the the latest and it could
> not follow the link - I know that it's not "your" fault but Cute FTP
> is one of the most used Windows ftp-clients.

Supporting Windows ftp-clients aren't likely to be a priority for
GNOME.

> I hope, and believe so, but if GNOME should have a future one of the
> first thing to do is to make a "nice and easy" installation. Based
> on my expirence as a programmer (BMS systems/Windows) I know that
> "dummy" users - like me - is the ones who find all the "bugs", and
> installation problems ;-))

It will be easy.  A future version of RedHat will install it all for
you.  The current version contains incompatible versions of some
libraries, together with applications which rely on them.

> And once again: This is not, and was not, my intentenion to flame or
> start a war, I was just playing around to see which desktop I will
> use on Linux.

Sure, I understood that.  I agree there are problems; the ones that
you're finding probably aren't significant, since they'll just
disappear in time.