Yet another newbie part 2

Hello

Hold on to your horses, I was not trying to start a war, I just need some
help to install GNOME.

I know that GNOME is beta/alpha or whatever, as should not be considerate as
100% stable, and I don't mind that, I just want to give it a try so see if I
like it better than KDE.

My experience so far with GNOME is not good, as I wrote in my first letter
I've had several problems installing the RPMS.

So on several suggestions I decided to compile/install from scratch, but ran
into some compiling problems, so this morning I reinstalled RedHat 5.2 to
get a fresh system.

According to Marcus Brubaker ( Very friendly and helpful ) I should compile
in the following order Free from his memory ;-) ):
Off the top of my head:

glib
gtk+
imlib
(gtk-engines)
(audiofile)
(esound)
ORBit
gnome-libs
gnome-core

Well I started and compiled glib 1.1.12, did a make install, then ahead to
gtk+ 1.1.12 I typed /.configure and then after a short while I got the
following:

"*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means"
"*** that the run-time linker is not finding GLIB or finding the wrong"
"*** version of GLIB. If it is not finding GLIB, you'll need to set your"
"*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point"
"*** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if
that"
"*** is required on your system"
"***"
"*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it,
although"
"*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying
LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
"***"
"*** If you have a RedHat 5.0 system, you should remove the GTK package
that"
"*** came with the system with the command"
"***"
"***    rpm --erase --nodeps gtk gtk-devel"

What am I doing wrong or missing ??

Should I give up ??

Thanks in advance.

Best