Can't get Gnome running

I was trying to get Gnome running on top of WindowMaker. I am running
RedHat 5.2 (straight from the CD) and downloaded the TKD and Gnome files
today from the gnome.org server.

When I'm trying to start the panel from an xterm window, I get the
following error messages:

gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image: /usr/.../tile_normal_up.png
All fallbacks failed
(etc)

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from <NULL> pointer to 'GtkObject'

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtksignal.c: line 725 (gtk_signal_connect_after):
assertion 'object != NULL' failed.

(etc)

Segmentation fault panel

Some other programs like gnome-help-viewer work well, but ee, for
example, doesn't run either.

What is wrong? Is there a package I haven't installed, or where I need a
newer version? (There were some unresolved dependencies while installing
TKD) Anyone else experienced these problems and knows a fix? Please
help!

Klaus