Re: Canvas limitations (was Re: Coding question, canvas)

On 5 Feb 1999, Guillaume Laurent wrote:

> Could you translate "way too much" in more "numerical" terms ? :-)
>
> What are the practical limitation of the canvas in term of number of
> objects ?

Divide the amount of RAM you can afford to burn by
sizeof(TheCanvasItemYouUseMost).:-) That's how many items you can have.
It's sort of subjective.

The other limit is that it takes a noticeable amount of time to create
the GtkObjects if you create, say, hundreds of them (vs. 50 or so which
will be plenty fast). Of course this number varies radically depending on
your CPU and exactly which items you're using.

If you create a custom item though, you can make it Butt-Ass Fast. Check
out my "nanotiles" scatter plot in Guppi, it is 2 cool 4 u. ;-)

Havoc