Re: Workspace specific backgrounds

On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 11:40:39AM -0500 or thereabouts, Mike Bond wrote:
> Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> > ... windowmaker do different backgrounds or themes for different
> > workspaces. How is this done? I'd love to be able to do that that.
[snipped the rest of it]
> Actually, I think the original question might have been that while E and
> WM support separate selection of backgrounds per workspace, would it be
> possible to more generically support this in the Background capplet in
> the GNOME Control Center. This is, after all, supposed to be the place
> to configure backgrounds in GNOME.

Indeed. And I think it would be great if such an option was in there,
although I have had some trouble with Gnome and windowmaker since
both have the capacity to set certain things for you and I manage
to muddle the two up, since I like the way Gnome does some things
and the way windowmaker does others. Choices, choices... which to
use for what? Oh, the tragedy of having multiple options and ways to
do things :)

In fact, I had actually come to the conclusion that it must not be
possible to have different backgrounds for different workspaces in
Gnome, as there was nothing in the control-center suggesting you could,
and I've not seen any Gnome demos do it at shows. I saw Corel's Linux
distribution running, and that was running KDE with different
backgrounds on different workspaces, and I was jealous :)

My failure to realise Gnome could support window managers doing this
may also be due to the fact that I seem to recall being told that the
reason that one Gnome pager applet wouldn't work with windowmaker
was that windowmaker's concept of workspaces was not the same as
Gnome's concept of them, so I stopped investigating ways I could
do it after hearing that. Dunno whether that's still the case, or
even whether that's an accurate explanation? Maybe I am muddling
workspaces and desktops and other things up? Wouldn't be the first
time.

Telsa