Gimp icons reproduced after upgrade

Subject: Duplicate icons after upgrade
Package: gnome-core-1.0.54-2.i386.rpm

After upgrading with the above package and ORBIT-0.5.0-2, I was prompted to
install gimp when I reentered the Gnome window environment and did so. I have
two gimps in my menu; one with a foxes head icon and one with no icon. How do I
consolidate them? Also I  understand that prior to an upgrade I should delete :
			~./gimp directory

I used whereis and many directories were listed. How do I find the proper
directory? Once it is removed will Gnome configure itself properly?

 I am running Gnome under RedHat 6.1 on a Pentium II Asus chembook laptop.

Any help would be heartily appreciated