Re: Sticky Shortcuts

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Alan M. Evans wrote:

> Koen Hufkens wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how to unlock the shortcuts on my gnome desktop?
> > They seem to be stuck in a row  (I used the "arange icons" option).
>
> I don't have a solution, but perhaps I have the same problem: On my
> normal user account, desktop icons auto-arrange themselves at every
> login. I can move them wherever I want, and when I log out and back in,
> they are in a neat column again. This is not a problem for root. I don't
> recall, exactly, how long this has been happening, so I can't associate
> it with a particular upgrade. I've tried everything I can imagine,
> including making verbatim copies of root's configs in the user's .gnome
> directory.
>
> Considering all of the annoying little things I put up with because of
> my commitment to GNOME, I was resigned to waiting for the problem to
> mysteriously go away at some future upgrade (as has happened
> frequently). But now I see that somebody else might have the same
> annoying problem. My hope is rekindled...

If you go to the 'Settings' menu, 'Preferences' item, then go to the
'Desktop' tab, you could check for automatic rearrangement of icons. I'm
guessing that you have already done this, though.

If this doesn't solve the problem, seeing as we're aiming to obsolete gmc,
it probably won't be fixed soon.
-- Elliot
"You can divide our industry into two kinds of people: those who want to
go work for a company to make it successful, and those who want to go work
for a successful company." -jwz