RE: gmc, ftp and proxy servers

On 21-Dec-99 Rasaki Bidemi Bolanle Temidire wrote:
> Has anyone out there been able to successfully use gmc to connect to an
> ftp site or nfs or other off-site vfses while sitting behind a firewall?
> I would appreciate any suggestions and/or advice.  I should also mention
> that I have tried using gftp and again, I see no facility there for
> specifying proxy server information.  Or is there?

        It would be helpful to know what kind of proxy software (if
any) your firewall is using.

        If it's a network address translation system, or something
similar, then you probably have to talk to your firewall's administrator
about what to do.

        If you're behind an HTTP proxy, then I don't think there's any
way to make gtcd work, but gftp does have a setting. It's in the
preferences somewhere.

        If you're behind a SOCKS firewall, then the only solution that
I've found to work reliably with these two bits of GNOME software is
to "SOCKSify" the network code in the program (IOW, rewrite it). Using
"runsocks" has not worked properly - the programs core dump for some
reason. I've done this on gtcd and gftp, but I'm not sure how well my
patches will work on other people's networks. If you want to try them
out, I can e-mail you the diffs (it may take a few days, though, I'm
pretty busy at the moment). I have not tried to patch gmc for SOCKS
proxy compatibility yet, but I'll get around to it one of these days,
I'm sure.

Date: 22-Dec-99  Time: 11:53:02

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor