RE: gtcd and playing audio CDs on Solaris

On 21-Dec-99 Rasaki Bidemi Bolanle Temidire wrote:
> I work on a Solaris 2.5.1 station at work.  I compiled the gnome-media
> package and tried to use gtcd to play CDs on the local IDE CD player.  It
> used to work pretty well except for not finding some of the CDs at
> freedb.freedb.org.  I have recently had to recompile most of my GNOME
> packages.  Now I get no sound coming out of the headphone jack when gtcd
> is running.  I can see that it is playing the CD (the light is on) but
> nothing is coming out of the headphone jack.
>
> Have any Solaris users encountered this problem?

        I don't have GNOME installed on a Solaris system, but on
one of my Linux boxes the CD sound doesn't start until I run the
mixer and wiggle the CD volume slider a little. Don't know why
this is, I assumed it had something to do with that system's
sound chip. Perhaps it's really gtcd, or the type of CD drive?
Anyhow, you might try running the mixer and fiddling with the
CD volume slider. Even if it's all the way up, I still have to
do this after the system's been rebooted.

Date: 22-Dec-99  Time: 11:48:06

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor