gmc, ftp and proxy servers

Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question about using gmc as anf ftp/vfs client.  I am
behind a firewall at work.  I have the latest GNOME packages compiled and
installed on my Solaris box.  I am running gmc version 4.5.22.  I want to
use it to grab files from ftp.gnome.org and other places.  When I type
something like ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub in the Location bar or a gmc
window, nothing happens.  I figured that it was because I had not
specified a proxy server to contact for a way out of our network.  The
only thing is, I don't know where to specify the proxy and port
information.  I checked the user guide and documentation at the Midnight
Commander homepage and found nothing addressing this issue.

Has anyone out there been able to successfully use gmc to connect to an
ftp site or nfs or other off-site vfses while sitting behind a firewall?
I would appreciate any suggestions and/or advice.  I should also mention
that I have tried using gftp and again, I see no facility there for
specifying proxy server information.  Or is there?

Thanks in advance.

Bidemi Temidire

... PPPoE may not be a real, IETF-approved standard, but it has acquired the momentum
of a de facto standard.

And that means it's probably here to stay, whatever it's shortcomings.  The Sympatico
rebels will probably have to get used to the fact that, just like VHS videocassettes
and Microsoft Windows, it's often the second-rater who wins in th end.

	- Matthew Friedman (a Montreal-based journalist)
	Symaptico's High-Speed Edition ADSL users revolt