Re: gnomepad is too slow (thread of Milestones document)

Loban Amaan Rahman wrote:

> > The pix map theme does slow everything down but the way the gtk-textedit
> > widget turns into molasses has to be fixed. IMHO the marble theme
> > is simply unusable due to this bug the overall slowdown.
> >
> > Is there any way to speed up the pixmap themes? Is there something
> > inherent in X11 or gtk that makes them slow?
>
> Pixmap themes are slow because the computer has to coninually do real-time
> transformations to the pixmaps. For example, as the progress bar goes
> up, the "progress-bar" pixmap is stretched to reflect this. Hence, themes
> that consist of A LOT of pixmaps get really slow down your machine.

Is there any way to load them in as pixmaps and then transform them to a
differnt kind of data once loaded?  I would imagine that a lot of new
users will choose one of the "pretty" themes and find GNOME horribly
slow.  While we all know it's the theme's fault, they don't.  They just
see GNOME as slow and bulky.  Maybe a small program that would change
the format of the theme once it's on the system?  It seems this is a
real problem, because all the solutions that I've seen boil down to: use
a different theme, get over it.

--
Mike Nugent
mike@illuminatus.org