Re: FW: Trash and hidden files

The directory should be optional.  It would be easy to accidently fill
up a /tmp directory this way which could be very bad for the system.
Solaris, for example, uses /tmp as swap space also. Imagine deleting a
whole mess of files to clear up disk space, only to realize that you've
used up all your swap.  Yes, many Unix boxes clear out /tmp on reboot,
but many Unix boxes are also not rebooted for spans of months and even
years.  Optional at some point (compile time, system admin set /etc
file, user option, etc) would be necessary.  The only problem with
non-compile time setting is what do we do if it changes?  Move all the
files?  This seems like a mess.  Maybe once it's set, it must be empty
to change?  I think there's more here than meets the eye at first.

--
Mike Nugent
mike@illuminatus.org