Re: trouble with cvs

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Nathan Clegg wrote:

> I've recently run into a problem where about half of the gnome modules I
> check out of cvs fail with messages similar to the one below.  They used
> to work fine, but now won't check out with cvs versions 1.10.2, 1.10.5, or
> 1.9.  Some modules work great, like bonobo, but the failing ones always
> die on the same directory with the message below.  ORBit always fails on
> libIDL/ and gnumeric always falis on src/, for example.  Any idea what has
> changed and how to fix it?
>
> cvs server: failed to create lock directory in repository
> `/cvs/gnome/libIDL': Permission denied
> cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/cvs/gnome/libIDL'
> cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

Remember that anoncvs.gnome.org is 4 systems.  I run

anoncvs.gnome.org       A       209.81.8.253
anoncvs.gnome.org       A       130.239.18.151
anoncvs.gnome.org       A       142.62.1.41
anoncvs.gnome.org       A       192.58.206.110

I run 142.62.1.41.  It syncs with the main repository every three hours,
00,3,6,9,12, etc.  In my setup, the ownership and perms change so that I
have to chown them back to the gnomecvs user, and this can take up to 5
minutes.  What may be happening is that you could cvs sync when I'm
syncing, and you're hitting some files with improper perms.  All I can
say is to try avoiding those times, at least for my server.  I can't speak
for the others.  (Note however, that when you try cvs updating again, your
resolver will pick another of the four above, in which case it doesn't
matter...but FWIW, there's the caveat for my server.

> Nathan Clegg

wfms