gdm2 - second session doesn't start

I have a problem with gdm2. When I start it, the first Xsession runs no
problem. The :0.Xauth and :0.log files are created in /usr/var/gdm and all
goes well. When I log out of my session (doesn't matter what manager I use
- even failsafe) and then try to log in, the session doesn't start. Just
get blank grey window with X cursor. The .log reports

AUDIT: Fri Aug 13 12:37:35 1999: 19924 X: client 1 rejected from local
host
  Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

Looks like something's screwy with the authorization, but I can't figure
out what. If I shut gdm2 down and start again, all is well and the first
session works again (again, doesn't matter what the session is). Anyone
know the issue here?

My installation versions:

gnome-audio-1.0.0-6
gnome-audio-extra-1.0.0-6
gnome-core-1.0.4-34
gnome-games-1.0.2-10
gnome-libs-1.0.8-8
gnome-linuxconf-0.22-1
gnome-media-1.0.1-3
gnome-pim-1.0.7-2
gnome-users-guide-1.0.5-4rh
gnome-utils-1.0.1-6
switchdesk-gnome-1.7.0-1
gnome-libs-devel-1.0.8-8
gnome-core-devel-1.0.4-34
gnome-objc-1.0.2-4
gnome-objc-devel-1.0.2-4

gdm2 compiled no problem and is in /usr not /usr/local. gdm.conf:

[daemon]
Chooser=/usr/bin/gdmchooser --disable-sound
Greeter=/usr/bin/gdmlogin --disable-sound
Group=gdm
HaltCommand=shutdown -h now
DisplayInitDir=/usr/etc/gdm/Init
KillInitClients=1
LogDir=/usr/var/gdm
DefaultPath=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X116/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/local/bin
PidFile=/var/run/gdm.pid
PostSessionScriptDir=/usr/etc/gdm/PostSession/
PreSessionScriptDir=/usr/etc/gdm/PreSession/
RebootCommand=shutdown -r now
RootPath=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/local/bin
ServAuthDir=/usr/var/gdm
SessionDir=/usr/etc/gdm/Sessions
UserAuthDir=/tmp
UserAuthFBDir=/tmp
UserAuthFile=.Xauthority
User=gdm

[security]
AllowRoot=0
UserMaxFile=65536
RelaxPermissions=0
RetryDelay=3
VerboseAuth=1

[xdmcp]
Enable=1
MaxPending=4
MaxSessions=16
MaxWait=30
Port=177

the rest is standard.

Thanks,

mk

 Impotent Pieces of the Game He plays
 Upon this Chequer-board of Nights and Days;
 Hither and thither moves, and checks, and slays,
 And one by one back in the Closet lays.
          Omar Khayyam (Rubaiyat, LXXIV, trans. by Edward Fitzgerald (2nd ed.))

Martin Krzywinski
System Administrator
Center for Integrated Genomics
BC Cancer Agency