Re: problems with modemlights_applet

Al Niessner <Al_Niessner@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>I need more information on how modemlights_applet works or what it
>needs.
>
>Now, for more detail: I get connected via PPP -- this is proof of that
>-- but I do not get any blinking 'lights' on my modemlights_applet.  It
>worked for a while then quit when I went through a big upgrade -- I
>switched from RH to Mandrake.  I have installed the 1.0.9 core etc. and
>it still does not work.  I even tried it from root to make sure it was
>not a privilege problem.  When I do a help from the properties of the
>applet, Netscape cannot find the referenced page.  I installed the
>developer RPM's just in case the help existed in there.  No luck.  Tried

The applet notices the connection by testing for the modem's lock file.
By default the applet checks for /var/lock/LCK..modem, this will probably need
to be changed to /var/lock/LCK..ttyS0 or something similar.
(when connected, look in /var/lock for a file similar to LCK..ttySx, and
specify this as the lock file in the applet's properties)

When you upgraded from RH to Mandrake, the symbolic link was not updated for
/dev/modem. The reason is that many newer distributions do not use or even
create the symbolic link from the serial device to /dev/modem.

>man and info with no luck either.  Even searched the web and came up
>with nothing except that it is maybe located in the core RPM.
>
>I do have to say the device is correct in properties page: ppp0.
>Without more information on it, that is about all I can say is correct
>for sure.

-John
--
John Ellis <johne@bellatlantic.net>