config files

Hi there all. I'm kind of a newbie and I just want to know: where are the
global config files for gnome? There are some generated one's that pop
into your home dir when you first start gnome or make any cahnges, but I'd
like to know where the main ones are

Specifically, I want to edit the menu that pops up when you right click on
a panel. I want to create a user which can only start netscape and log
out, nothing else. The local config files don't seem to have any options
for that panel menu, and the "user guide" doesn't even mention it, or
indeed anything about editing config files.

Help is much appreciated!

cheers Colin