Re: PPP, Mount/Unmount

In message <37B193A3.682C0290@kerneltech.com>, Michael Dennis writes:

[snip]

> So what you are saying is that root utilities such as software installation s
>hould
> only be done via command line?  Considering the amount of software you have t
> install in Linux (things are constantly changing and needing updating) I thin
>k it
> would be nice to be able to install your software from the GUI without going
> through a terminal.  Maybe a su version of a graphical RPM installer which pr
>ompts
> you for your root password would be nice?
>
> Anyways thanks for the su tip.  It definitely is easier than logging out of m
> user account and X and back in as root (no wonder I was getting frustrated do
>ing
> it the "brain-dead" way).

What I do is log on using my "regular" account, bring up an xterm and su
(no - as this keeps my X auth). I then use the command line to start any
GUI app I need (XEmacs etc.). If there are any security problems, I am not
aware
of them.

Bob

| Bob Taylor             Email: brtaylor@inreach.com             |
| Gnome certainly is (serious competition to the Mac or Windows) |
| ... I get a charge out of seeing the X Window System work the  |
| way we intended..." - Jim Gettys                               |