Re: UI considerations

Tom Gilbert <gilbertt@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> * Bruce Stephens (bruce@cenderis.demon.co.uk) [990809 20:13]:
> > One wonders how much testing Microsoft actually does.  Most Microsoft
> > products are basically OK, but there are some things which really
> > should have been caught, and wouldn't have been hard to change.  (The
> > Start button, with its awkward cascading behaviour is an obvious one:
> > having it at the top of the screen by default would have been an
> > improvement.)
>
> I don't think you can call the MS start button awkward whilst using
> Gnome, which blatently copied the idea :-)

Well, kind of.  I agree that the panel starts off as a bar across the
bottom of the screen, with the main menu button at the left (at least,
it did on a RedHat6.0 installation I saw).

But that's a short term thing---I'd guess in everyday use, people use
buttons on the panel(s), having used the main menu to put them there.

Perhaps there's room for something else though: what about a window
that shows all of the applications and things from the menus (with
icons), and lets me drag them onto a panel?  That would be more
convenient.