Re: UI considerations

+++ Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 08:10:58PM +0100 +++
Bruce Stephens e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> One wonders how much testing Microsoft actually does.  Most Microsoft
> products are basically OK, but there are some things which really
> should have been caught, and wouldn't have been hard to change.  (The
> Start button, with its awkward cascading behaviour is an obvious one:
> having it at the top of the screen by default would have been an
> improvement.)

Or take a look at the default Windows >95 file requester panel. It's
in landscape format and it scrolls horizontally. Dumb idea. (If anyone
wants an explanation as to why vertical scrolling is easier on the
eyes, I can provide you with it.)

Not that the GTK+ file requester is much better, BTW. Most file
selectors I've ever used suck.

I'm really putting a lot of hope in the oncoming Gnome file requester
which will presumably use an embedded Bonobo file manager component.

mawa
--
GIF's a toy, and a dangerous one.  Document your image or get out of
GIF.