Re: GNOME Usability Improvements - Fix the window manager!

On 09-Aug-99 Michael Stearne wrote:

>> Before you can drive a car you have to learn the traffic rules.
> We learn traffic rules for the common good because a car is a
> potentially deadly instrument. This is a computer that runs
> Netscape and
> WordPerfect. I shouldn't be able to kill anyone by ejecting my CD
> at the
> wrong time.

OK. Maybe I'm wrong in this point, but you also have to learn to use
the manual or automatic gear.

>> Before I open the CDROM I have to learn to umount them
> Why do I have to learn umount?  Why can't I just drag it somewhere,
> say
> "Eject CD" to my computer or press the eject button.  It's our
> responsibility as developers to hide things like umount and autofs
> from
> end-users.  I can always pull a console up if I want to type
> commands,
> Bill says pointing and clicking is more fun.

But to hide umount and autofs is a distributers point to care of.
The only thing GNOME has to do is to use a menu entry or icon to
mount the CDROM. And this is already here!!! Use the mount applet and
you have an icon for floppy or CDROM.

Thomas

---
 EMail:    thomas.hedler@fen.baynet.de