Re: Help PLEASE!

RE: drag and drop problem.

Hi all,
and in reply to Bidemi and James,
Firstly thankyou for your help. It was a great help.

James wrote:
>Your problem is mainly with gmc (the file manager that controls the
>desktop icons).  I don't know if GMC currently supports making an icon
>into a drag destination.

This I think is the main point. Unless anyone can let us know
otherwise???
I think  that it's probably just not yet supported to have an icon  (I
had a
shortcut icon on the desktop to the gnome editor) that you can drag and
drop a file to and have it launch with the file in it. ie have the
shortcut as
the drag destination. I 'm thinking this is probably not currently
supported
like James has suggested. But when I do this action I get no error
messages,
a small flurry of disk activity and gmc seems to flash and dance a bit
as if
it's about to do something, but then nothing.

>This is probably possible with a toy-lette
>(great name, by the way), but I don't know how easy it would be to
>configure this.

James, what is this? Can you tell me where to get this. I'll try it.
(unless of course this is a joke, with a name like this!?:)

>A number of the applications allow you to drag files to the actual
>application window to load a file.  You could try this as well.

Yes this works. And always did. I guess this is great enough for now.
thanks!
But other window managers let you drop straight onto the icon shortcut.
Rather than run the shortcut to a window first. I would guess that it
wouldn't
be too complicted to remove this extra step? Why need it. Just drop
straight
on the shortcut. I would like to make a suggestion that this
functionality be
made available in the future. Unless there is some reason that it is
really
complicated to do so. Make sense yes? Even windozzze does it. Thats part

of the beauty of having the shortcuts in the desktop. The concept is our

gift from the Mac os.

Thankyou also Bidemi: In reply:
Mine is a FreeBSD box. I have compiled the whole of gnome from the
bsd ports skeleton. There were a few hiccups that I did Kludge my way
through, (yes I confess!!!:) but they were only in applets I'm not
using.

To be sure I reinstalled the dnd, drag and drop library. I then
recompiled
the filemanager gmc. But no difference. I wonder perhaps I need to
recompile
the panel also. ??? I 'm not sure. But it was still the same. Didn't
work to drop
on shortcut. However the fact that drag and drop does and has always
worked
to drop on an open application suggests I guess that the drag and drop
is working
it's just that drop to shortcut is not yet implemented. I can't imagine
that it would
be more than a step away but I'm not the developer so I don't know.
Perhaps
there is a good reason. Or perhaps now with the dnd library new install
I need to
reinstall the whole of gnome, so that bin's can relink? Also I went to
"www.
gnome.org for the list of libraries and utilities that you need to have
installed in order"
but I couldn't find where this list of order of compilation was. And I
want it!
If anyone can give me a complete URL i'd  be grateful.

Anyway I think relinking everything is probably not needed as before,
although
dnd didn't register as one of my installed packages explicitly I think
that the bsd
port installed it as a matter of course because I saw the dates for the
dnd port
directory had been touched at install time. The files from hear have
been cleaned
out since though. Besides if it drag and drops to the open app then dnd
must be
actually installed and working huh.

Hence after all of this !!!!!!!!!, I think that gnome just doesn't quite
do this yet.

But I still want to stick with it. I think it's very cool.

Any further comments/info from anybody on this topic very welcome.

Thanks again!:)
Paul.

Paul.
Bureau Of  Meteorology Australia.