Re: Help PLEASE!

Hi,

I would love to help but I think that a few pieces of information might help.
The first is, how did you install GNOME?  Did you use a package tool such as dpg

(from Debian) or rpm (from SUSE or Redhat)?  If so, did you make sure to install

the drag-and-drop (dnd) libraries?  Did you notice any dependency problems when
you installed the GNOME packages?  Did you force the installation regardless of
the dependencies (I have done this before too ;))? If so, you might want to go
back and check to make sure that the dependency conflicts did not involve the
dnd libraries.  If they do, you may not have them installed.

If you compiled the GNOME packaged yourself, one of the configure scripts should

complain about dnd libraries missing.  If you are compiling the packages
yourself, I would suggest looking at www.gnome.org for the list of libraries and

utilities that you need to have installed in order to get GNOME compiled and
installed properly.

There really is no setting in GNOME for turning on or turning off the
drag-and-drop option.  This is why I mentioned the things that I did above.  The

last thing that I might suggest is that I have noticed that the drag-and-drop
sometimes fails or takes several tries from gmc (the file manager).  I have
found myself either trying the dnd many times or just using the menu options to
move things around.  This is usually between gmc windows and may be linked to
your case as well.  You would just need to try whatever you are doing again.
Generally, I don't have any problems dragging a file from gmc to any of the open

GNOME applications like gedit or ggv or electric eyes.

I hope this helps.

Bidemi Temidire

<pre>

To quote Michael Cain (even though I don't like his movies much
actually)
"Somebody, Somewhere MUST know Something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

so could someone please help!

Ok see, I've installed this lovely GNOME over the last few weeks.
But one of the main reasons I did so was to get this drag and drop
front end. Now, if I drop a text file onto a gnome editor (as a short
cut on the desktop) it doesn't auto launch with the text file in it. I
thought this was what drag and drop was all about. (the Mac and
windoze can do it).

Now with this great and sophisticated and configurable gnome front
end it wouldn't surprise me if I'm just doing something wrong in my
properties setup for example.

For a start "should" this work?
If so how to configure?
Is there any good doco or info anyone can point me to to find out?
Should I be posting this question somewhere else in gnome cyberspace?

If this is a really silly question to seasoned gnomers please forgive
me but I've only been learning the stuff for a handfull of days.

Any answers long short or tiny warmly welcomed!:)

TIA,
Paul.

--
        FAQ: Frequently-Asked Questions at <a