Re: Heh! Maybe I can help! (was: Icons)

+++ Sun, Aug 08, 1999 at 10:19:29AM -0500 +++
Thomas R. Shannon e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> When KDE first started I downloaded the first couple beta
> distributions and monitored their mailing list.  I can't remember his
> name, but one of the original organizational guys was an absolute
> freak about icons and graphics.  He obviously thought that no matter
> how good the mechanics were on the inside, the number one thing for
> most lay people was that it look nice on the outside.  He was correct,
> of course, and he made it a priority from day one.  So it doesn't
> surprise me that they have so many nice icons now.

:)

> I realize that people want GNOME to have its own look.  But lets be
> practical.  The KDE icons are free for distribution aren't they?  Too
> be honest, its not that important to me but if people want icons, I
> suggest they download the KDE icons and use them.  Are there
> specification differences?  Or is this a matter of pride?

A matter of style.

> You don't really have to ask to use them but someone could offer an
> icon exchange.  I doubt the KDE people would do it.  It would be
> pretty one sided at the moment.

Good idea, but the style of the KDE icons is different than the one of
the Gnome icons. The old low-colour KDE icons would look very ugly
next to Tigert's paintings, and the new high-colour ones are still
very different -- blaringly colourful, generally somehow "golden", I
feel.

KDE's whole look seems yellowish/golden to me, while Gnome usually
looks greyish/greenish and generally more mellow.

mawa
--
Every woman and every man should at least try to keep in mind through
their whole life just how incredibly bad one is able to feel during