Usability suggestions

I have two suggestions for the GNOME environment I'd like to see added.
Neither would be terribly difficult, and neither strays radically from
fundamental design decisions like many of those in that _other_ thread.

1. This has already been suggested at least once before, but I want to
second it: a way to align icons on the desktop to some grid whose box
sizes you can set.  Windows 95 and later have this in their "Line up
icons" item on the right-click menu.  A tidy desktop leaves a much
better impression than one whose icons are slightly out of kilter with
respect to each other.  I lack the patience to line them up by hand.

2. Add a "working directory" option to the program launchers.  I've
wanted this several times.  Normally, it can indeed be ignored, but
other times, it's a real pain when, say, the paint program always pops
up in your home directory instead of the directory you've got all your
pictures stored in.  Or when you've got a script that works from the
current directory, and you want an icon running it from a given
subdirectory.

--
= Warren
= ICBM Address: 36.8274040 N, 108.0204086 W, alt. 1714m