another prob w/ building gnome-libs

Hi all,

I have been trying to build gnome-libs-1.0.10 forever now and here is my
most recent problem.  I am running the ./configure script and things are
going nicely except that it can't find file's for ESD and AUDIOFILE, then
I get many many lines like the following:

creating ./config.status
creating gnome-bug
sed: file conftest.s2 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating gnome-config
sed: file conftest.s2 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating gnome-libs.spec
sed: file conftest.s2 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating Makefile
sed: file conftest.s2 line 50: Unterminated `s' command

but the script continues and runs to completion.
make then doesn't find any targets, I'm assuming because every Makefile
has 0 size.

I could really use some help on this one as I don't have the first clue
what I would put in my own sed file to pass to configure, nor would I know
how to go about editing a file that gets created by the configure script.

Thank you,
Cliff