Re: GNOME Usability Improvements - Fix the window manager!

On 06-Aug-99 Michael Stearne wrote:

> Thomas Hedler wrote:
>>
>> On 06-Aug-99 Ben Frantzdale wrote:
>> > One other anoying thing is that you can't eject the CD with the
>> > button on
>> > the CDROM. and you can't eject the floppy with the physical
>> > eject
>> > button
>> > withought unmounting it first else the computer complians :-)
>> > --Ben
>>
>> Where is the problem? If Windows accesses the CDROM and you open
>> the
>> eject button, you would get a blue screen. If you press <ESC> or
>> <retry> it sometimes crashes completely. Do you really want this?
>> ;-)
>>
>> Only because windows has this behaviour it needn't to be a good
>> behaviour!!!
>>
>> The users have to learn some things. If they don't want to learn
>> something they should use windows or better buy a Mac.
>
> How will Linux ever be a desktop platform with this thinking?
>
> Users shouldn't HAVE to learn things, they should have the option
> of
> learning things if they want to.  You can avoid the the blue
> screen, by
> locking the eject button on a CD drive like Macs do.  Mounting and
> unmounting of media is done right on the Mac, why can't this method
> just
> be used in Linux?  Have a "Trash" Can on the Desktop and drag the
> CD
> there to unmount it. There is no reason to re-invent the wheel if
> there
> is a suitable solution out there. Just because a method is used by
> another OS besides Linux doesn't mean it is wrong.

The way Windows does it IS wrong as you can see. Nothing else.

Before you can drive a car you have to learn the traffic rules.

Before I open the CDROM I have to learn to umount them (if you
want with the best icon the world can give to a user...).

Nothing more.

Thomas

---
 EMail:    thomas.hedler@fen.baynet.de