Re: White Space (Re: UI suggestion: gnome-dock)

On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, James Henstridge wrote:

> If you do not want text+icons in the toolbar buttons, just change your
> preferences in the control center (it should be under user interface
> options, application defaults).

Hmm. I just switched off 'Toolbars have text labels', loaded up the File
Manager and it still had the text label. Maybe I have to quit gnome to
quit gmc properly? If so, this needs to be explained in the dialog.

>  As for excessive white space, this is a
> little harder to fix (and quite a subjective criticism -- I think the
> spaced out GUI looks quite nice personally).

The Panel is quite space-efficient, but if I were to use an example, I
could say that if you load up the Control Panel, looked at the list on
the left and shaved off one px from both the top and bottom padding around
the text (and prolly left and right for that matter) it would look better.
You might even get away with 2px...

I think the file-tree list in GMC has it about right space-wise, but the
amount of left-right padding given to the files/directories in the right
window iconic view is far too much. Normally I can fit at least five
files/directories width-wise in Explorer, but in GMC I can only get three
with approx the same window size.

btw, I'm running 1200x1024 with a 19" monitor.

--
James Green
http://www.cyberstorm.demon.co.uk/