Re: UI suggestion: gnome-dock

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999 gandalf@pobox.com wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, James M. Cape wrote:
>
> > Ok, but the GNOME toolbars are huge. In MS products, the toolbar buttons
> > are pretty small, and can fit on the same line as a menubar because of
> > this. in GNOME, the toolbars are much bigger, and would cause a huge
> > gap. As others have said, it is possible to do this, I just question the
> > value of it.
> In my opion these things should be smaller, everything in gnome is too
> big, especially default buttons, dialogs, etc, I never understood why they
> are created with so much empty space.  This has always been one of my
> biggest complaints about the look of gnome.

My biggest complaint about X widgets in general (I think it applies to at
least most of them) is that there is too much whitespace around them and
they are too big. If you've ever compared GMC with Explorer w/ IE4/5 then
you'll see how much more compact Explorer is.

--
James Green
http://www.cyberstorm.demon.co.uk/