Re: White Space (Re: UI suggestion: gnome-dock)

I got one mail from someone who did not see the option to turn off toolbar
labels.  Just uncheck "toolbars have text labels" checkbutton on the
"Application Defaults" capplet in the "User Interface Options" section of
the control center.

Also, you can turn off menu item and standard dialog button pixmaps from
this capplet, which should further reduce screen real estate usage.

If you have a small display and have not made these changes, try it out
and see if it makes GNOME better for you.  If you can't remember what the
toolbar buttons do, there is always the tooltips.

As for other parts of gnome, I have sometimes wondered what a "tiny theme
engine" would be like.  Basically it would be the standard theme engine,
but reduces the extra padding on some of the widgets.  This together with
a smaller default font (which can be selected from the theme selector
capplet) should give more space for notebook screens.

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/