Re: Talking to a wall? (tactless, yet rude:)

James Aylett wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 08:30:42PM -0500, James M. Cape wrote:
>
> > > Recently I posted an idea regarding the panel: it would be nice if
> > > panel launchers hadn't got that 1-pixel border around that prevents
> > > them from being clicked if the mouse pointer is pinned against the
> > > edge of the screen.
>
> [snip]
>
> > > There were no replies to my original point.
> >
> > I have recieved 250+ e-mails regarding GNOME in the past two days, and
> > am constructing a website nearly from scratch to handle all of this in
> > the process, under the ostensible goal of updating the existing website,
> > and then moving it to developer.gnome.org. I will process all requests,
> > add them to the website, and hopefully respond to all suggestions
> > personally. If you don't get a response right away, don't worry, thus
> > far I have only responded to the outlandish or the large scale, and only
> > added the smaller stuff.
>
> Erm ... isn't this precisely what the 'wishlist' category of the buglist is
> for? If we end up with two distinct lists, this is (a) wasteful, (b) lossy
> (because most people will only consult one when looking for things to do),
> (c) confusing.
>
> Given that bug reports are sometimes actually feature requests, using the
> bug tracking system strikes me as the right way of doing this. Having a more
> accessible, more obvious, wishlist web page generated from this would be a
> bonus.
>
> James

Eventually, we will scour the bug reports and copy UI requests to the
wishlist. For now, I'm starting to fill in the list with the mailings
we've recieved. I hate to break it to you, but the buglist is not the
place to discuss new UI features. That's what the gnome-gui list is for
:-). We are simply taking the discussions here and formalizing them as
requests for features.

And while it might seem a bonus from a techincal/manpower point of view,
the fact of the matter is that most good UI requests don't come from a
single source, but rather lots of sources combined.

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
     pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
        -- Winston Churchill