Re: Basic Gnome/Enlightenment help

>  2. If I create a new launcher icon on the desktop (for emacs!), I find that
>     when the application starts the current directory is ~/.gnome-desktop/.
>     This is a bit annoying with emacs - I'd like it to start in my home
>     directory.  Is there any way to specify the initial directory?

The reason it works like this is so that if you create files from
within the application you run, they will appear in your desktop
afterwards.  I understand that this is not always be the best policy.

As a semi-bad hack, you may want to create a little shell script that
switches to the directory you want and then runs Emacs.  Put the
script in your ~/.gnome-desktop.

  Federico