Basic Gnome/Enlightenment help

I've just installed RedHat 6.0 and I'm very happy with Gnome!

But ... I've got three problems which I can't find any answers to in the
docs.  Apologies if these are very basic but here they are:

1. By default Enlightenment positions windows starting at the top of the
   screen; for some reason this really irritates me - I guess I'm used to the
   "random placement" mode in other window managers.  I've found the manual
   window placement option but not any other controls on placement.  Is there
   any way to get "random" placement?

2. If I create a new launcher icon on the desktop (for emacs!), I find that
   when the application starts the current directory is ~/.gnome-desktop/.
   This is a bit annoying with emacs - I'd like it to start in my home
   directory.  Is there any way to specify the initial directory?

3. If I click on one of the icons for current applications in the task bar (is
   that the correct term?), the window doesn't come to the front.  This is a
   real pain - I can bring it to the front if I iconize and restore, but that
   is a lot of clicks to achieve a basic operation.  What's going on here?

Richard