RE: GNOME Usability Improvements - Fix the window manager!

> > > Distribution issue.
> >
> > GNOME needs an installer of the caliber of Internet Explorer 4/5. Coded
> > in xlib, it will check your distribution/package format, check with your
> > vendor for the latest versions, and go download and install the packages
> > you select.

> What? Are we going to implement our own package management system,
> too?

While a separate package manager, or installation routine is clearly not the
right way to go (it strikes me as fundamentally wrong...) Since we are
talking about binary dists mainly (compiling from source being an entirely
different issue). A statically linked copy of gnorpm (or whatever) for RPM
style dists, or gnome-apt for deb's could allow the user to install from any
working X installation.