Re: GNOME Usability Improvements - Fix the window manager!

drarn (drarn@toward.com)'s email of 08/04/99 07:28 said:

>>       [simpler] mount/unmout of removable media
>
>>Same question: how much easier do you want it? You can use desktop
>>icons or the mount applet.
>
>I want it a lot easier. I use `mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/ims' to mount my
>ls120 disks. I could have formatted disks as hdc, hdc1, hdc2, hdc3, hdc4
>and/or used various filesystems. The drive and the linux removable IDE
>drive support have always worked great. I do not have the faintest idea
>how to add my preferred method (linux filesystem on hdc1) to the mount
>applet, or the original formatting of the disks (win/dos [on hdc4?]), or
>to mount it as an IDE 1.44 floppy, or any other
>method either. As a newbie, it never occurred to me to use a desktop
>icon and write a script. Writing a script which toggles is tricky,
>however.
>The usernet applet doesn't check state well enough, for example. Thanks
>for a very helpful hint though! I will write six icon/scripts:-) No
>sarcasm is meant. I'll really be better off to do it.

If you need to write six scripts to mount and unmount devices, you are
missing something.

First of all: GNOME is not responsible for mounting and unmounting
filesystems. This is done at kernel level, and the tools exist in ANY
user environment to mount and unmout the hard way, the easy way, or the
easiest way. It doesn't matter how many layers of abstraction you throw
on top of the filesystem mounting mechanism, it works exactly the same
each time (as it should) and is accessible equally from within any
"environment" or GUI or even completely without a GUI (as it should be).

It works like this: if a filesystem is not mentioned in /etc/fstab, you
have to mount it with a longhand command that tells where the hardware is
located, what type of filesystem is on the hardware, and where on the
existing tree you would like to see it mounted. If a filesystem IS
mentioned in /etc/fstab, then the mount command already knows where the
hardware is, and what filesystem that hardware will contain, and where
you ordinarily like to see it placed on the directory tree. All you have
to do is specify which device it is you want mounted, and the rest will
be read automatically and dealt with accordingly. The easiest way,
however, is simply to run an automount daemon (which I don't do, so I
can't vouch for it, but I know people who use a program called "amd" with
great success) and when you try to access a directory which ordinarily
contains a mounted filesystem, it'll mount the filesystem automatically.

GNOME's job, then, is simply to pass the user information on to the
underlying filesystem tools which already exist and already do the job
just fine. It (specifically gmc) does this by creating icons on the
desktop that correspond to each device in the /etc/fstab that are
user-mountable. Then the GUI operations are very simple: to mount,
right-click on the icon, then click on "mount." To unmount, right-click
on the icon, then click "unmount." It's a very well-designed system that
follows the rules of HCI by very clearly stating what the purpose of the
control is and providing constraints so that the user can't click "the
wrong thing" by accident (ie. it doesn't show the "mount" command if the
drive is already mounted). GNOME's job, therefore, is finished.

What you may more accurately complain about is that your distribution
doesn't come with sane defaults in the /etc/fstab, or that your
distribution doesn't automatically recognize devices during the install
and add them to the /etc/fstab, or that the documentation is too weak to
tell you how to use /etc/fstab (no excuse: it's available on LDP), or
that your distribution doesn't run amd by default, or that your
distribution is simply on crack. All of these complaints should be taken
up with the maintainers of your distribution.

If you'd like to contribute code, however, I'm sure I am not the only one
who would gladly welcome your contribution of a graphical /etc/fstab
configuration utility. :)

--
"True riches only increase." -R. Buckminster Fuller
sungod@atdot.org              http://blackness.org/