Re: GNOME Usability Improvements - Fix the window manager!

>> Mac, Windows, etc. Users asume that a disk in the drive means that the
>> computer knows about it. pull it out and the computer doesn't. I know that
>> untill removeable media is that transparent, most people won't use
>> Gnome/Linux
>Most users period, not just Windows and Mac users. And what is the first
>question that comes to a new user's mind when they reliaze they have to
>run "mount /mnt/mountpoint" (or whatever)?

Macs use hardware, they know when there is a floppy or CD, and the only (non
rescue) way to get it back is via the interface. MSWindows do not know when
there is a floppy (CDs yes, but not floppies), it just tries and complains.

>"Well that's dumb. Why can't the computer tell when there's a disk in
>the drive? That other one does."

I taugth my users to write CDi, CDo, FDi and FDo (in and out scripts,
ejection included if avaliable); or use the icon. I taugth them that
computers "look smart" but are "pretty dumb".

I also found that people has problems with Unix way (single tree). But once
you tell them that one way for all (network disks is the best example that
is most liked), no more A, B, C, D... letters, they seem to be happy.

>For those that disagree, remember, the Computer exists to serve the
>Human, not the other way around (as most of us geeks are used to,
>unfortunately).

Yes, true. But are dumb, I hope we make less dumb. I know I always (?) will
have mount, but I will be really happy if I have to explain less (or explain
in "Unix survival course: any field, any time, any tools" only).

GSR